The Gates Biomanufacturing Facility (GBF) is a partnership among the Gates Center, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Children’s Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado Health and the Gates Frontiers Fund.
Generous gifts from the private sector totaling $8.5 million covered renovation and equipment costs, and partner institutions below are each contributing toward a combined total of $7.3 million to cover operating costs for our ﬁrst ﬁve years.
The Gates Biomanufacturing Facility (GBF) held its Grand Opening on April 6, 2015. The GBF is operated by the Gates Center for Regenerative Medicine at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
Dennis Roop, PhD
DIRECTOR OF THE GATES CENTER FOR REGENERATIVE MEDICINE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
- A professor of dermatology
- One of the first investigators to begin using molecular techniques to study how the skin forms during normal embryonic development
- Served on the Advisory Council at the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- Berea College Board of Trustees in October 2009
- Former President of the Society for Investigative Dermatology
- Author of more than 250 peer-reviewed publications
- Recipient of numerous awards:
- CE.R.I.E.S. Research Award (2002)
- Tanioku Kihei Memorial Award from the Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology (2003)
- Rene Touraine Foundation Award (2005)
- Stephen Rothman Memorial Award from the Society for Investigative Dermatology (2010)
- B.A. in Biology from Berea College in 1969
- M.S. and Ph.D. in Microbiology from the University of Tennessee in 1972 and 1977, respectively
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND OPERATIONS
- Former CFO and Vice President-Business Development at Boulder Ionics, a specialty chemical manufacturer providing electrolytes for advanced energy storage where he negotiated multi-year joint development and license agreement with CSIRO, the national laboratory of Australia and negotiated a $4.3 million Venture Capital – Series A Preferred Stock investment.
- Former COO and CFO at Compositek, a contract manufacturer of carbon-fiber parts for aerospace, medical, and transportation companies requiring highly engineered parts made in an ISO 9000 quality environment.
- 30 years financial and business development leadership in manufacturing, distribution and software development companies.
- Former President of the Board of Trustees and Treasurer at St. Anne’s Episcopal School
- Former board member at the Kempe Children’s Foundation
- Bachelor’s degree from the University of Colorado
- M.B.A. from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University
Matthew Seefeldt, PhD
DIRECTOR OF PROTEIN CHEMISTRY & MANUFACTURING
- Built processes from Phase I to Phase III
- Ten years of prior experience working with more than 150 different proteins, of which a majority were “tricky” proteins requiring innovative process steps
- Considered a world expert in protein refolding
- Expert in protein stability and formulation, with specific understanding of the link between aggregates and immunogenicity
- Built processes resulting in upstream high yields, effective purification schemes, and top-end formulation
Gabriel Orosco, BSME
DIRECTOR OF QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Worked in multiple regulatory areas with direct FDA/WHO/NB interaction in cGMP audits in biopharmaceuticals, oral solid dose, active implantable, injectable drugs and many medical devices
- Considered an expert in facilities, computer systems, operations and quality assurance in corporate and startup capacities
- Remediated multiple problematic sites to meet best in practice cGMP, including clearance of Warning Letters and 483s